Frequently Asked Questions
When is your showroom open?
Mon: 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
Tue: 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Wed: 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Thu: 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
Fri: 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Sat: 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
What does good original detailed condition mean?
When a piece of antique furniture is described as being in good original detailed condition, it implies several key aspects:
• Good condition: The piece is generally well-preserved and maintains its functionality. It might have minor signs of wear consistent with its age, but overall, it is in good condition.
• Original condition: The furniture has not undergone significant alterations or restorations. It retains its original structure, finish, and design elements. This is generally seen as desirable, as it enhances the authenticity and historical value of the piece.
Overall, in good original detailed condition also means that the item has been cleaned, waxed and checked by our restoration team to ensure our customers receive a high-quality product when purchasing from us.
Do you ship internationally?
Unfortunately, we are not able to arrange shipping overseas for large furniture items, but we are able to arrange postage for smaller items that can be sent via the post. Please message us if you are unsure or would like to get a quote for an item.
How often do you get new items or stock in your store?
We get new stock coming in every week and have containers arriving from France every 8 to 12 weeks.
Can you assist with shipping or delivery of purchased antiques?
We can arrange delivery to: Melbourne, Hobart, Launceston, Sydney, Adelaide, Perth, Canberra, Brisbane, and regional centers.
Is all your stock online?
Unfortunately, not all our stock makes it online and we do have a range of items not listed, if you’re looking for something you can always send email us or call us.
I would like more information or photos for a certain item, what should I do?
Email or call us if you would like more photos or information about any item we have for sale and our staff will assist you.
Why would I purchase antique or vintage items when I can buy new items?
There are several reasons why someone might choose to purchase antique or vintage items over new ones:
• Unique and Distinctive: Antique and vintage items often possess a sense of history and craftsmanship that sets them apart from mass-produced new items. They have a unique charm and character that cannot be replicated by modern manufacturing.
• Quality and Durability: Many antique and vintage items were made using traditional methods and high-quality materials, which often results in superior craftsmanship and durability compared to contemporary items. These items have already stood the test of time and can still be functional or in excellent condition even after many years.
• Environmental and Sustainable: Buying vintage or antique items aligns with a more sustainable and environmentally friendly approach. By giving a second life to these items, you contribute to reducing waste and the demand for new production. It's a way to embrace a reuse and recycle mentality.
• Curiosity and Nostalgia: Antique and vintage items can evoke a sense of nostalgia and curiosity about the past. They offer a connection to history and allow people to experience objects from different eras, cultures, or styles. It can be fascinating to imagine the stories behind these items and the lives they have touched.
• Personal Style and Aesthetics: Antique and vintage items often provide a unique opportunity to express personal style and add a touch of individuality to your surroundings. Whether it's in home decor, fashion, or accessories, these items can elevate your style and create a distinct ambiance that differs from contemporary trends.
While new items certainly have their merits, the appeal of antique or vintage items lies in their timeless quality, historical significance, and the opportunity to own something truly special and one-of-a-kind
Can I make an appointment to view your showroom?
Yes, appointments to view our showroom can be made outside of our normal trading hours. All appointments are obligation & pressure free. Please call or email to organize a time.
Do You Offer Lay-Bys?
Yes, we do offer Lay-Bys on all of our items.
We require an initial holding deposit of 20% followed by regular weekly/fortnightly or monthly payments.
Full terms and conditions can be found here https://mooneepondsantiques.com.au/pages/terms-and-conditionsPlease contact us directly to organize a Lay-By to suit your needs.
Do you edit or photoshop your product images?
The photos on our website are taken from a mobile phone camera and are not photoshopped.
How do I apply wax to antique furniture?
To apply wax to antique furniture, follow these steps:
Start by ensuring the furniture is clean and free from dust, dirt, or any previous wax or polish. Use a soft cloth or brush to gently remove any debris.
2.Choose the right wax:
Select a high-quality paste wax specifically designed for use on antique furniture. Consider the color and finish you desire, as some waxes may add a slight tint or shine to the wood.
3.Test in an inconspicuous area:
Before applying the wax to the entire piece, test it in a small, discreet area to ensure the desired result. This will help you determine if the color and finish are to your liking.
4.Apply the wax:
Using a clean, lint-free cloth or a wax brush, scoop a small amount of wax and apply it to the furniture in a thin, even layer. Work in small sections, following the wood grain for a smooth and uniform application.
5.Work the wax into the wood:
Gently rub the wax into the wood using circular motions. Apply light pressure to ensure the wax penetrates into any crevices or scratches, enhancing the overall appearance of the furniture.
6.Let the wax dry:
Allow the wax to dry completely according to the manufacturer's instructions. This can range from a few minutes to several hours, depending on the type of wax used.
7.Buff the wax:
Once the wax is dry, use a clean, soft cloth or a buffing brush to buff the furniture. Apply gentle pressure and use circular motions to bring out a smooth and glossy finish. Buffing helps distribute the wax evenly and adds shine to the wood surface.
8.Repeat if necessary:
If you desire a deeper shine or added protection, you can apply another layer of wax. Repeat the process starting from step 4 and allow the wax to dry before buffing.
To maintain the waxed furniture, regularly dust and clean it using a soft cloth or brush. Avoid using harsh cleaners or abrasive materials that can strip away the wax. If the wax begins to dull or wear over time, you can reapply a thin layer of wax to rejuvenate the furniture's appearance.
By following these steps and regularly maintaining the waxed antique furniture, you can help preserve its beauty and protect it from everyday wear and tear.